06 December 2016

Of Elephants and Wild Hogs



Just a quick addendum to my previous post about Baches and Cribs ...  


"Wild Hog Rock" ... I'm sure it has a more melodious Maori name, but I'm sticking with this one!


I had written about our trek to the North Taranaki Coast in search of the elusive Elephant Rock. Try as we might, we just couldn't make an elephant of the land mass we encountered. It turns out there was good reason for that. The elephant had been trunkated (sic) some time during or soon after the recent large earthquake. It has become apparent that there is an even better reason ... we were looking at the wrong rock! If you look past the tail of the "Wild Hog" (the big rock in the foreground that we thought was Elephant Rock but I thought looked more like a wild hog), and around the point, there is an arch. This is the now and former Elephant Rock. The head and trunk have been claimed by the sea.

I have zoomed in on the arch below, and for comparison copied images brazenly stolen from the internet.


My pic of Elephant Rock

 
Pics of Elephant Rock lifted from the internet.


I would like to think that we wouldn't have made this mistake if the elephant had been intact. I actually took pictures of the arch itself but deleted them because they were rather uninteresting. Of course, I have no proof of that. You will just have to take my word(s) for it ...


No comments:

Post a Comment