31 May 2017

Keep Welly Weird



I wanna' run, I want to hide.
I wanna' tear down the walls
That hold me inside.
I wanna' reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name.
- Bono / U2



Owling, Oct 2016

I have previously compared Palmerston North favourably to Iowa City IA (Link: Palmy Rocks!), another college town that feels bigger than its footprint. Wellington, one of our NZ favourites, reminds us of two of our other favourite cities in the U.S., Asheville NC and Austin TX.

In Wellington, Asheville, and Austin, there are tons of things to do indoors and out, but mostly out. They all feature a huge foodie scene with fantastic restaurants and amazing pop-ups. With all the choices of sit-downs and street food, it seems every visit we make is centred around where we are next going to eat. They have young, vibrant populations and the cities cater to an athletic, outdoors lifestyle. Like Austin, Wellington has a large student population. The mix of people is eclectic, from dirty hippies, to wannabe hipsters, and clean-cut young professionals. People here seem to wear pretty much whatever they find on the floor or in the street after a party suits their personal style. Anything goes, even when it doesn't. The young, creative crowd drives technology and arts-driven economies.

Much like Asheville (but unlike Austin), once we get into Wellington, we park the car for the week-end and explore everything on foot. Cutting through back alleys and roadway underpasses, we have learned to navigate Wellington like locals. We have also seen really cool parts of the city that most tourists never do.


2017 Women's March on Washington - Wellington

Jan 21, 2017 - Kari, Little Highstead, and I participated in the Women's March on Washington - Wellington. It was an overcast day and a little chilly. I was somewhat surprised at the size of the crowd. Initially we milled about in the centre of it all. As the line of people stretched out, I crossed streets and climbed grassy knolls trying to get a shot. I was pretty happy with my pics at the time, but with the passage of a few months and a little more experience, I now find them un-inspiring.


The Cenotaph

The Cenotaph

Parliament Buildings and Seddon Statue

Parliamentary Library Lawn

City Gallery, Civic Square


Wellington Explorations

In March, my brother and sister-in-law came to visit. We ran them all over our favourite haunts on the North Island, then hiked the Queen Charlotte Track (Link: The Long Walk). We only spent one night in Welly before heading out to see the seals on Cape Palliser and drink wine in Martinborough, but we managed to squeeze in a late night walk, green-lipped mussels, and a mini tour of the city. The next morning, we drove to the top of Mt Victoria.


Wellington Harbour at night

John Plimmer and Fritz

View from our balcony, including Wellington Harbour and the Quest Wellington clock tower

Wellington Harbour and city-scape from Mt Victoria


Street-scapes

We came to Wellington this past week-end for a specific purpose ... our combined birthday weekend (Kari and my birthdays are only a week apart). The plan was to have a nice dinner out and see the Gallipoli exhibit at Te Papa Tongarewa (Museum of New Zealand). Our first goal was thwarted by a late start on a Saturday night limiting our ability to get a table. We ate a forgettable meal but still managed to have a good family night out. The Gallipoli exhibit the next day was absolutely amazing. I had a third purpose and that was to view the city with a photographic eye ... to see the city we have come to love through a camera lens. On our previous explorations, we had seen murals, street art, and graffiti. We had prowled back alleys and found amazing murals painted on garage doors, warehouse doors, and doorways. I wanted to try to capture a little bit of this creative essence.


Breakfast - Best Ugly Bagels

Street art, graffiti, murals. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference.

  
  
  
Garage and warehouse doors


Gallipoli Exhibition, Te Papa Tongarewa

In April 1915, during WW1, Australian and New Zealand forces landed at Anzac Cove and Cape Helles on the shores of Turkey, thus beginning the Gallipoli Campaign. Over a period of 8 months, they attacked and were repelled on multiple fronts. After suffering substantial casualties and a crushing defeat, they withdrew and evacuated in January 1916. Anzac Day, April 25, commemorates the servicemen and women KIA as well as those returned. The Gallipoli exhibition at Te Papa Tongarewa featured artifacts and stories from the men and women who served during the campaign. There were several 2.4:1 models created by Weta Workshop (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and TV series Hercules and Xena, among other special effects credits). 


Te Papa Tongarewa




Winding Down

Our week-end in Wellington closed with one last ramble about town followed by a tasty meal at a Turkish restaurant. On the drive home we stopped to admire the Tasman Sea becalmed, and a little closer to home, drove onto the beach to be inspired by the setting sun.


Civic square

More doorways to nowhere

Abrakebabra, Wellington

Chasing the white rabbit

Reflections. Look carefully ... some of the features are behind the glass and others are reflected


I thought that my photographic "eye" leaned towards landscapes and wildlife scenes. This is the environment I know best. When I turned my lens to the city, I think I initially limited my imagination by sticking to familiar compositions. Most of my pictures have been city-scapes ... and pretty boring. After trying out a new lens in Christchurch (Link: Moving Pictures), I found that I really enjoyed urban/street photography. I'm still a little uncomfortable getting up close, so my early pictures tended to use the city as a backdrop to whatever image I was trying to capture. This week-end, for the first time, I deliberately worked on developing a feel for the city as its own environment. I'm pretty happy with the results.


Waitarere Beach at sunset





Just hangin' around ...

No comments:

Post a Comment